How The Eagle Ford Shale Benefits South Texas
Rich in both natural gas and oil, the Eagle Ford Shale in South Texas has become one of the most prolific shale plays in the United States. While it was long known to contain oil and natural gas resources, it wasn’t until 2008 that the true potential of the shale play was unlocked, thanks to advances in hydraulic fracturing (fracking) and horizontal drilling.
The abundance of oil and natural gas in the area creates tremendous economic opportunities for local communities. Production in the Eagle Ford Shale has helped provide affordable electricity for families and businesses; improved air quality and reduced emissions; put tens of thousands of Texans to work; generated billions of dollars in economic output; and provided vital funding to local schools and counties throughout South Texas.
The Eagle Ford Shale…
- Contains an estimated 8.5 billion barrels of oil and 66 trillion cubic feet (TcF) of natural gas.
- Is the second largest oil producing region in the country and accounts for 13% of all U.S. production.
- Is the fourth largest natural gas producing region in the country.
In San Antonio…
- 46% of the electricity comes from low-carbon natural gas.
- Residents pay an average of 11.1 cents per kilowatt-hour for electricity, lower than the state and national averages.
- Natural gas has helped reduce the ozone levels by 20% since 2003.
Eagle Ford Shale Production…
- Supported 108,300 direct and indirect jobs in 2016.
- Generated $49.8 billion in total economic impact and created nearly $23.1 billion in gross regional product in 2016.
- Supported 23,525 jobs and generated $1.1 billion in payroll impact in Bexar County in 2016.
Oil and Natural Gas…
- Generated over $1.3 billion in revenues for local governments in South Texas in 2016.
- Contributed a total of $286 million in funding to school districts in the Eagle Ford Shale region in 2017.