FLIR & The Facts
METHANE, FLIR, AND THE FACTS
WHAT THE VIDEOS DO - AND DO NOT - SHOW
WHAT IS FLIR?
Forward looking infrared technology, or FLIR, is used by many industries as well as the military. For oil and gas, FLIR cameras are used to see non-visible light – steam, heat, permitted exhaust or other activities. Operators can use FLIR to identify leaks and potential repairs.
WHAT CAN'T FLIR TELL US?
Operators use many tools to ensure their facilities are operating safely and environmentally-friendly, because FLIR only provides one part of the whole picture. FLIR technology CANNOT tell us…
THE TRUTH ABOUT FLIR
MISLEADING SCARE TACTIC
"The bottom line is that they are misleading, and they are misleading on the scare tactic. Optical gas imaging is nothing more than that, it’s imaging. There’s a lot that can mimic an emissions plume."7
-Trisha Fanning, Environmental Consultant, Eagle Environmental
1. One Year in FLIR: Exposing Invisible Fracking Air Pollution, Earthworks, August 2015 https://earthworks.org/one_year_in_flir_exposing_invisible_fracking_air_pollution/
2. Health Effects of Oil and Gas Emissions Investigated in Texas, E&E News, June 2017 https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/health-effects-of-oil-and-gas-emissions-investigated-in-texas/
3. Oil Industry Calls Report Alleging Methane Pollution Misleading Scare Tactics, Kingfisher Times & Free Press, October 2017 http://kingfisherpress.net/oil-industry-calls-report-alleging-methane-pollution-misleading-scare-tacti-p3633-1.htm
4. Encana Patton Trust South, Condado de Karnes, TX, Earthworks, December 2017 https://youtu.be/FG6Iuq7uH70
5. Complaint Status, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, December 2017 http://www2.tceq.texas.gov/oce/waci/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.complaint&incid=273800
6. Complaint Investigation Details, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, December 2017 http://www2.tceq.texas.gov/oce/waci/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.investigation&invid=842592132018018
7. Anti-Fossil Fuel Groups Admit No Air Testing Conducted In Oklahoma Emissions Report, Western Wire, October 2017 http://westernwire.net/anti-fossil-fuel-groups-admit-no-air-testing-conducted-in-oklahoma-emissions-report/