Reports & Studies
The Greatest Story Never Told: Technology, Innovation, and American Oil & Gas
Technological advances in the oilfield are helping the United States reach new heights in oil and gas production, improving American energy security and driving growth in energy exports.
Related Key Terms:
Table of Contents
Key Findings (Pg.2)
Introduction (Pg. 3)
Part 1: History of a Technology Driven Energy Revolution (Pg. 3)
Part 2: Advanced Technology to Reduce Environmental Impacts (Pg. 7)
Part 3: Silicon Valley Meets Permian Basin (Pg. 10)
Conclusion (Pg. 13)
10 Most Innovative Oilfield Technologies (Pg. 14)
Over the past century, a stunning series of technological advances have transformed the oil and gas industry. While numerous innovations have influenced American production, a handful of key technologies have had an outsized impact, culminating in the United States becoming the world’s largest oil and gas producer.
- The history of hydraulic fracturing innovation stretches back over 80 years.
- Technologies like downhole cameras, advanced drill bits, and new software made the evolution of horizontal drilling possible.
- Innovators have developed impressive means to recycle produced water from oil and gas operations.
- The oil and gas industry is a pioneer in use of supercomputers.
- Science, not science fiction: cutting edge technology is ubiquitous in the oilfield, including artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and robots.